Saturday, March 25, 2006

Team Roles

Dan Woodard met with us (deacons/trustees/wives) for the first time last night. We discussed some team roles. We took a team roles inventory to evaluate how we contributed to the various teams that we are a part of. Here are my strengths:

Resource/Investigator: Stays current with what is happening outside of the team. Creates external contacts. (people/information)
Shaper: Gets things moving (task/control)
Visionary: Challenges established practice. Introduces new ways of viewing things. (people/ideas)

Those of you who know me, do you see these characteristics in my life?

As I went to a camp board meeting today, I was able to see how I could function in "the easy stuff". That is the function of the team that I am most comfortable doing, that require the least amount of stress/strain. My part is on the program team, working to bring in speakers, deans and ministry teams -- which require a contacts list and connections with a variety of people outside of the board. Chip, the camp director, is also a visionary and a coordinator. LD, the chairman of the board, is the shaper and team builder. I score low in the team builder category!

As I began to filter each of the interactions in the board meeting, I began to value the input of those that had different strengths. I began to think about my best way to contribute to maximize the effectiveness of the team! How empowering!

"Team is a group gathered to accomplish a goal, to move forward in a unified direction, towards a common goal, with a common philosophy."

Go team!
Mike

1 comment:

Todd Paris said...

Sounds like some stuff that you could work through on a wild trip!! Any chance of getting a copy of the test and score key? -Todd