Thursday, March 23, 2006

Engaging with an Alternate Worldview

Whenever we live out our worldview (i.e. practice what we preach) we will find two reactions to our actions: conflict or connection. All actions that do not connect with another person's WV (worldview) can create a tension in your relationship with that person. When two WV's collide, there must be evaluation. Either agreement to disagree or resolution and adoption of one of the worldviews must follow.

Dwight Peterson suggested that one of the 2 Cor. 5:17 "new things" that have come at salvation is a different WV. It is now a supernatural (not natural) WV and when we come into conflict with others we have to make a choice. We can choose to be irritated/frustrated by those who hold other worldviews or we can choose to be burdened for them. This means that as we engage with our children (who are still forming their WV), we need to correct the heart issues and not the external actions. (Often easier said than done!)

As much as our politically correct, tolerance-based culture would like to dismiss it, there is a right place for WV (worldview) conflict and resolution. Each time another WV collides with ours, we are forced to evaluate and make adjustments. We either reconstruct or fortify our WV with each new challenge. When I look at it that way, my interactions with unbelieving neighbors, friends, co-workers, convenience store workers, etc. are much more strengthening than a cloistered existence in the church environs. As long as I have committed to studying to show myself approved unto God, (not others) I will not be ashamed for the time/work that I have put into study. As I challenge my way of looking at the world (my Biblical WV) I am growing.

So here are my resolutions from this discussion:
  1. I will continue to study God's Word and challenge my worldview in order to grow spiritually
  2. I will endeavor to live my life before the world in such a way that the world has to deal with the conflict between my WV and theirs
  3. I will engage in the dialogue that comes out of such a conflict with the intention of helping others to become reconciled to God's WV
  4. I will be burdened for those who continue to disagree with God's WV rather than be irritated at them

It is great to know that God gives wisdom to every one who asks and that He does not make fun of my constant search for truth and a Godly WV (James 1:5).

Constantly tweaking my WV,

Mike

No comments: