Thursday, March 30, 2006

How is Grieving/Pain Good?

Do you believe that God works all things together for good? What good can come out of pain? These questions came up twice in the past 24 hours. Once from a teen, trying to understand how God could allow disease/sickness/death to come into a believer's life. Once from my youngest daughter, trying to understand how God could bring good from her painfully hurt toe. How does pain and suffering in my life bring about good? It draws me ever closer to God, leaving me no other choice but to cling interdepently -- even codependently -- to God.

Consider this quote:

ULTIMATELY, lamentation leads to a greater, healing closeness in the divine-human bond. The cause of sorrow may not recede. The trial that evoked the cry may not end. The cry itself may yield no pathway of escape from harsh reality, nor should it be expected to. Lamentations come always from the lips of those who face the harshness, not from those trying to turn away. Still, as the cry pours forth, it opens wide the spirit of the one who issues it. And in this opening the greater closeness grows. -- Stephen Doughty

From pages 89-90 of TO WALK IN INTEGRITY by Stephen Doughty. Copyright (c) 2004 by Stephen Doughty. All Rights Reserved. Used with permission.Learn more about or purchase this resource online:http://www.upperroom.org/bookstore/desc.asp?ep_id=56&item_id=203423

Also, consider that the good that is produced may be through the ministry of others to you in your time of need. God has placed helpers in your life to bring about blessings. It may also be a stronger appreciation for a section or character of the Word of God. No one responds more strongly to the story of a prodigal son than one who has "been there".

So Todd, while I removed last week's post of lamentation (bordering on complaint), good did come out of it. You were able to snap me out of my mope with the direct and stinging comment, "Read your own posts". I was forced to do just that. My wife, also wounded me with wisdom. She pointed out that some of the teens could find the blog post and be crushed at my negativity. Again, I was forced to evaluate. Then, God brought the note of encouragement that has assured me that there is impact being made. Not by me -- or even for me -- through me!

God can, and does bring about good from evil. Where have you seen that in your life recently? What is God working on you about right now? Be vulnerable with God and your relationship will be strengthened!

Growing through the wounding of friends,
Mike

2 comments:

Todd Paris said...

Psalm 119:75

Pastor Mike Paris said...

"I know, o LORD, that your laws are righteous,
and in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
May your unfailing love be my comfort,
according to your promise to your servant."
Psalm 199:75-76 NIV