Thursday, February 23, 2006

Drawn Like a Horse to Water

Hey I read a great set of verses this AM. It so described the situation that I am facing with the youth group that I smiled. It was that "That is so true" smile that you get when you hear someone or read something that you have always believed, but had never articulated or never that well. My prof of evangelism at BBS, Lee Wise, used to shout "YYYYYes!" with fist pump whenever we talked about a concept like that. (Just thinking about Lee again makes me smile.)

Listen to these great verses:

I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will
counsel you with my eye on you. Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have
no understanding, whose trappings include a bit and bridle to hold them in
check, otherwise they will not come to you. (Psalm 32:8-9, NAS)


Verse 9 is even better in the NIV:
"Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must
be controlled by the bit and bridle or they will not come to you."

We are really struggling as a youth group leadership team to meet the demands of stubborn mules! We instruct, teach, demonstrate, counsel, watch over them. Yet when given free reign they sit down or run off. We often feel like we are dragging them to drink (water). We are hoping that a new horse in the stable, who has a lot of questions (ala coming on his own to the water) will be the spark that motivates thes others to follow. Pray for this new horse!

Lord, help me to be led by the carrot of knowing you better, of being in your will, of communig with you personally. Help me avoid waiting for the tug, the struggle, the bold yanks and spanks of your Spirit. Make me a willing mule! Amen.

Your fellow mule,
Mike

PS - do not substitute the KJV word for mule in this post!

No comments: