Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day with Mike and Sue

I love V'day because I love my wife! I must admit after 15 years of marriage and 5 1/2 years of dating, the 20th celebration of Valentines was looking a little flat. I tried to spice it up a little with some Paris magic -- the same stuff that won her heart at the beginning! :)

I had a couple of ideas that didn't materialze, but here is the way the day shook out.

  1. I got a card at WalMart -- cute card, the black and white child photo with the colorized rose kind
  2. I bought a dozen roses at WalMart -- I know, cheap and WalMart isn't the best choice for florists, but the roses had the desired effect and I didn't have to pay so much :)
  3. I secured babysitting with our reduced fee teen babysitter -- Laura and Kristen are homeschooled so they were available mid-day. They will do it for free, but we try to give them something for their ministry.
  4. I whisked my bride away for a luncheon at the Olive Garden -- on a gift card from church family for Christmas.
  5. I fell asleep on the couch watching Olympics with Sue as she quilted -- free! :)

Total cost of celebrating love was well under $600 (see Thad's entry :) ) but well worth it. I also did pancakes (pink colored heart shaped ones) for the kids in the morning. Was there something in our childhood that has drawn us to celebrated pancakes? I, unlike Thad, do not like them for dinner!

Jack exclaimed at the breakfast table as he opened his valentine from Mommy, "Ahhh, that's so sweet". :) Another Paris man doomed for greatness in the romance department!

Hope you all enjoyed your day celebrating,

Mike

3 comments:

Pastor Mike Paris said...

I almost forgot! We ended our outing with a trip to Chase Pitkin (like a Home Depot) that is going out of business. $45 worth of plumbing supplies -- how romantic! But if it makes my wife happy, it is $45 well spent! :)

Mike

Todd Paris said...

I hate the V-day! Just another pagan holiday dreamed up by corperate america to get our hard earned sheckles.... All I did yesterday was whack myself in the eye with a chunk of ice and lay on the couch for the rest of the day in pain. Total dollars spent $0 (didn't even go to the doctors)!

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Todd, Todd, Todd....
I do hope that the chunk of ice in the eye is not just an excuse to ignore your wife! :) Albeit creative (I don't think that I have ever heard this excuse before), I am guessing that it far outweighs the alternative (saying how much you care about Kris) in the painful department. But then again, I have never known you to take the low pain approach! Hah! :)
Mike

PS -- you are very cynical for such a young man!