Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Family Communication via Blog

I am stoked (good '80's word) about the blossoming of blogs in our family. I am not sure that the guys in my family have ever had so much communication in our lives -- and certainly not about such great topics. I especially like my Dad's discussion of his Sunday School topics. It has generated multiple comments from all three of the boys that are online. It even caused Thad to write, "Show Mark what a blog is". I love the fact that Thad is leading the technology charge! You go dude! :)

I have to agree with Thad also about the power of small groups. These powers are especially poignant to discussions of accountability. I just saw a pyramid of relationship today that showed this very phenomenon. At the base of the structure was "High truth" and "High trust". Near the top was "High accountability". The point being that without a high level of honesty and open communication, there really can be no trust developed. Without trust, there is no foundation for accountability.

Can blogging with its omission of body language and non-verbal communication be an accountability platform? Is it possible to truly develop online friendships that will be strong enough to handle genuiness and frank candor? Or is this medium doomed to be a forum for discussions of politics and sports? I think that the "conversations" that 4 grown men named Paris are having are going beyond the light and fluffy and getting to the meat of discussion.

Keep blogging my brothers. Keep blogging Dad. Start blogging Mark. And whatever you do, don't tell the girls! :)

I love the fun and uplifting comm,
Mike

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gotta give credit where credit is due....Todd posted the comments about showing Mark how to blog. In classic '80s Paris fashion, he also said to smack him and call him a punk. However, in sticking with tradition, this procedure should only be done after Mom and Dad have left for the evening!

Todd Paris said...

I don't know whatever you could be talking about thad? Besides Dad has been known to smack Mark every once in a while. "you mess with the bull..." yuck, yuck, yuck. Anyway I do agree with you Mike about the Paris fam never having communicated so well. Lets pray that it continues.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Before you know it, we'll all be holding hands singing "kumbayah".

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd Paris said...

Did you look at that picture before you posted it? I am surprised after some of the things that you said about dads ss class! I hate that song almost as much as father abe.

Anonymous said...

Hmm....I guess I didn't look that closely. I thought those were maraccas! I'll go ahead and delete that post now!

Anonymous said...

Here ya go Todd....

http://www.kidtastic.com/city/musiccenter/singalong/childrensmusic/campfiresongs/kumbaya/kumbayah.html

Still working on "Father Abraham" for ya!