Monday, February 20, 2006

I Love You, Because....

As I challenged our people (and myself) to think about loving God and expressing that to Him, I thought about three main categories of reasons why I love Him;
  1. Things that He has done for me -- gifts, protections, salvation, etc.
  2. Lessons that He has taught me -- some of them through His Word, through His messengers, through the school of hard knocks, etc.
  3. Attributes that He has shown me -- moving theology to real life, etc.

While I do not claim these three categories to be inspired or necessarily inspiring, I believe that they cover a wide spectrum of our expressions of love to God. Also, I do not believe that these are necessarily in order of greatest to least. they may be in the order of easiest to grasp to most difficult or most tangible/touchable to less tangible/abstract. Again, they are suggestions not commandments! :)

I love God. I choose to love Him. My love is not based on what He can do for me or my portfolio. He is my God, that is enough. But, He did not simply call me and draw me to Himself and quit loving me; He has kept up his passionate pursuit of me. Here are some of the items that I put on my Valentine to God last night:

  • I love the way that you protect me from getting the lusts of my heart; you keep me from some of the dumb things that I ask for; you always give me the best
  • I love the fact that you are so gracious that you did not wait for me to draw near to you to extend salvation to me; You demonstrated your love while I was still unformed, unlovely, a sinner, and an enemy
  • I love that you are a shelter, a fortress and a high tower when I am under attack
  • I love the fact that you do not deal with me according to my transgressions
  • Thank you for not protecting me from danger when that was your divine will for my life; your ways are excellent
  • Thank you for not just saying that you love me, but showing me too; Help me to show you how much You mean to me; Help others to catach a glimpse of what a relationship with God through Jesus Christ looks like.

What would you put on your valentine to God? Post some notes (I am not sure that God reads my blog, but He knows what's there and whether it comes form your heart). Some things are better left for the personal devotional space, but some things can be shared among brothers.

Loving God who loved me first,

Mike

4 comments:

Todd Paris said...

Dear Father God, One of the reasons that I love you is the same as the reason that I love my wife so much. Actually not the reason so much as they both have demonstrated their love towards me in much the same way in that they both continued to love me and pursue that love in spite of my rebellion and doing things to purposely cause them pain/shame. I pray that my covenant loyalty (to you and my wife)will be as unwavering as yours is to me and to your chosen ones. I pray that my everyday demonstration of my love (for both you and Kris) will be sacrificial, evident and consistent. I also understand that it is important for me to verbalise my love to You and Kris often not just when when expected or prompted. Thanks for forgiveness. Longing to be with you face to face, Your Todd

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that God's love for us is unconditional. "We love God because of what he has done for us".... It's a good thing He doesn't love us for the same reason!

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Thad,
So true. That is in fact what distances Him from us. He is so much in another class of lover! We totally have nothing to offer in the "gifts to earn God's love" category.

The Casting Crowns' song, "Who Am I" really nails this whole topic. Great worship stuff!

Not because of what I have done,
Because of Who He is,
Mike

Thanks for posting,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Not because of who I am
but because of what He did.

Yep. Both of their albums rock.