Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Meaning of Life

Philosophers are those people who can effectively be efficient with life and can boil it down into a few brief statements. Life is too complex to do such legitimately, but here is the 18th century German philosopher, Immanuel Kant's attempt:
All the interests of my reason, speculative as well as practical, combine in the three following questions:
  • 1. What can I know?
  • 2. What ought I to do?
  • 3. What may I hope?

Immanuel Kant

Biblical Christianity has the answers for these questions. It is a philosophy -- a practical study guide of the stuff of philo (life). If our faith in God doesn't offer the steps to find truth in these key questions of life, then it is of no value.

But it does! We are of all men most blessed! Why not consider sharing the answers to these questions with your friends as they search for menaing and purpose in their days ahead.

You can know that God exists and that He desires to have an intimate relationship with his creation; You can live in full surrender to His sovereign plan for your life, glorifying Him by enjoying Him forever; You can hope (confidently look forward to) a home in heaven when you die, free from the eternal punishment that your sins deserve. These are great truths of good news (gospel)!

Spread the Good News,
Mike

3 comments:

Unknown said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Micky

Todd Paris said...

^Wow! Thanks for sharing Micky. God is good.

Mike, does that mean that I am a philosopher? I'm pretty good at boiling things down to short and sweet(sometimes).

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Yes you probably are the philosopher Todd!

Micky, amazing stuff. Jesus Christ is the only way that anyone -- no matter what your psychological baggage -- gets to heaven. John 14:6 is abundantly clear, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me" That is narrow and exclusive. But it is in a good way!

Boys, thanks for posting!