Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Powerful Communion

Communion is a regular part of our worship here at WyBC. We partake of this ordinance every month, usually in the morning of the first Sunday. We do it often enough to remember and seldom enough to make it special. But I have never led a communion service outside of that slot.

Last night's youth group lesson was a look at the last supper. The last supper is the communion model that we follow. Two elements representing, in symbolic forms, the incarnate form of the suffering servant given for me. We used some oversized kaiser rolls and some cranberry drink and read through the Luke account. I was struck with some amazing "experiences" as I reflected on this text with the teens.

As we sat on the floor, the change of position generated a lot of discussion and chatter amongst the teens. "oh this floor is hard", "someone's feet stink", "I'm tired" (one boy tried to act disinterested and attempted to fall asleep during the lesson), etc. I waited, saying nothing, smirking and observing these rascals that I love. How like Jesus, I thought. As he made ready for this special celebration of Communion, there must have been some banter going on amongst the men; fussing about the accomodations, complaints of stinking feet, whining about physical exhaustion, etc. Yet Jesus waited and when he had there attention he said, "I've been looking forward to this time for a long time". "Here, here" I heard one of the disciples say. "Let's eat!" (one of the teen girls actually squealed, "what is it?" as she tried to discern what might be in my semi-transparent grocery bags. "oh good! its food; we get to eat!")

I thought how Jesus must have ached as he saw once again that the disciples were on the verge of missing one of the most significant final moments with their Master Teacher. He finished his statement, "This is one of the last times that we will be together before I go to suffer". Silence. The chatter stalls as the disciples heard the seriousness of the man that they recognized as their leader.

I counted my band of "merry men and women"; there were 13 of them. How much like the Savior on that Passover night! This group that I was trying to teach was very similar in size as the first communion takers. How strange to feel that bond with my Lord.

The verses continued, "he took the cup and gave thanks". What did he give thanks for? I am not sure, since the text does not record an .mp3 webcast of the event. But I believe that he could not have prayed "blessthisfoodtoourbodiesamen". He might have prayed through the liturgical thanksgiving associated with the Passover meal. But I belive that he made the liturgy his own, adding phrases and emphasis that the disciples had never heard before. I made every attempt to change this communion service from the somewhat formal (it is about the only high church liturgy that we do in the baptist church) event that we celebrate each month. I wanted these teens to get what Jesus was doing and saying. "This is a symbol of my body which will be broken for you in a few short days".

The teens were strangely silent. I hope that it was that they realized that this was not like any other lesson that we had ever had. I also hope that they were responding to the Holy Spirit's directions to be still. Whatever the case, they listened. I gave them time to close their eyes and think about the significance of this bread and juice and pray silently. "This is my body broken for you/me", "This cup marks the new covenant that I am about to seal with you/with me", now "this do in rememberance of me". I could not chew long enough or drink enough of that juice. I wanted that meditation time to go forever. I wanted teens and leaders alike to savor that moment. I prayed and I listened. I had brought these young people that I love to a communion moment with God. Some of them got it, some did not. "How like my Savior", I thought.

Think on these things at your next communion service,
Until he comes to get us,
Mike

8 comments:

Todd Paris said...

you used leavened bread and cranberry juice?? How could you?

powerful lesson. Our family will be enjoying a sater meal on friday next at church led by dr tom davis. I love doing that because of all of the powerful symbolism that is in it. It also gives a better understanding of the framework of communion. Do you think it is appropriate for believers to take communion outside of the local church setting? ie: on a mountainside etc.

Pastor Mike Paris said...

man, I wish that we had a way to shorten the gap between Schroon Lake and Wyoming. I would love to take part in that service.

As to the communion thing, I wrestled with that alot yesterday afternoon. I came down on the side of its alright to do this in youth group. BUT I had a couple of things in my favor for justifying this "non-conventional" use. 1. still in the church building, 2. a pastor administering the elements.

I have always wrestled with the Steve Case version of communion using twinkies and Mt Dew (Code Red of course). I am not quite comfortable with that. I worry though about why people want tod do that ordinance outside of the local church. It makes sense to share a very special service with members of the church universal. But I am so cautious about anything that smacks of "why can't we all just get along".

I also struggled with the issues of unbelievers being there last night. I simply came down on the side of these are only symbols. If they have heard about the reasoning behind the symbols and they still partake, it doesn't help them into heaven. It has expsoed them to the gospel. It is an invitation to share some time with us in a spiritual event. Why would an unbeliever want to eat and drink communion with believers? The only thing that I can think of is to earn favor with God or have a religious experience. The symbol has no merit of its own.

We played a game last night using logos of TV networks, fancy cars, Movie companies, and restaurants. What does this logo represent? a Lexus car. But having the logo does give you the car! Great expression.

I would want to know why on the moutainside. IF it is because we can be quieter, pause longer (no time schedule, no interruptions, no static) then I say good. IF it is because we want to be ecumenical and show the world it can be done then I say not so good. IF it is becuase we can (a flaunting of our liberty) then I say not so good. IF it is because we need a shot of Jesus power right now then I say NOT good. IF we say that we need to be right with God before we die on this mountain (raging storm all around, no oxygen, no food, wounds, etc.) then I say NOT good (rather, it won't really help you).

Long answer, short question
As usual!

Todd Paris said...

ok I haven't actually been contemplating my response all day I was actually trying to get some work done for most of the day. Since I will only be getting 1/2 salary again next month I guess that I can formulate my response now. The reason I asked was that a certain coworker of mine, who also happens to be an ordained rev., likes to have communion, everywhere. He had it on a mountain during a retreat we did it in Tanzania as a team and then he requested we do it at our chapter coordinator summit meeting and I said "Whoa slow down! we don't want to be a replacement for the local church" Then I started to ponder where we get the idea that the "ordinance" of the Lords supper was given to the local church? The believers in Acts were going to church everyday and sharing communion in their homes. Baptism as well. Where does the local church get baptism as their ordinance? I see it as a way of associating oneself with Christ not a Church. No references that I know of in the NT of a local church performing baptisms?

Anonymous said...

Here's my uneducated opinion (keywords - uneducated & opinion):

If we focus our attentions on the specific elements used during communion, we're missing the point.

If we focus our attentions on the location of our communion, we're missing the point.

If we focus on the ceremony of communion, we're missing the point.

Irregardless of items used, location chosen, or any other aspect of this ceremonial event, if you're not focused on Christ and the sacrifice that he became for you, you've missed it.

Anonymous said...

OK....a few questions from the uneducated....

Where did we get the idea that we should perform communion? The last supper began as a celebration of the passover (an annual event, right?). Is it mentioned somewhere else that we should emulate this activity monthly/ periodically? How did this ceremony become know as communion?

Thanks for providing a distraction from work on this lovely, warm Friday.

Todd Paris said...

Whats your point?

Todd Paris said...

I found this today on Ray Pritchards website and I said hmmm?? What do you think.
Josh, Mark and Nick have started a three-brothers blog called A Thousand Words. Mark is the prophet, Nick is the humorist, and Josh is the philosopher.
Looks like the link didn't copy correctly so try this http://www.pritchardphoto.com/blog/ which would you be? Looks like good content too.

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Thad,
Try 1 Cor. 11. The discussion seems to be a discussion of "how it should be done" insid ethe context of the local church at Corinth. Corinth unfortunately was known for its abuse and confusion when it came to things spiritual.
They didn't get it right.
Paul was helping them to correct it.
Mike