Friday, April 21, 2006

What is the Will of God for My Life?

I hope that these questions have been helpful to you as you journey through your week. I know that I have heard my self speaking in "worldview" language more and making reference to the process of decision-making frequently. Our Friday morning discussions have been helpful -- I always enjoy a good chat over a cup of coffee! :)

So, why not meet me at Timmy Ho's and we can discuss this week's q's! Or just pour yourself a cup and post a comment!
  1. Is “what is the will of God for my life” a legitimate question? Why or why not?
    How would you know if the “Christian consumer” mentality has become a central value in the ministry of ____________ (fill in the name of your church here)? How will it affect Fellowship? Evangelism? Worship? Discipleship?
  2. How do we balance culture and Bible with respect to the “will of God for my life” or decision-making? (1 John 2:15-16; 1 Peter 2:11; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16, 10:2-6; John 17:6-19)
  3. Meadors makes eight categorical statements about the phrase “will of God” from passages containing the same in the NT. (see p. 93) Are any of these new to you? Do any of these seem more important than the others?
  4. Does God really care about my life circumstances, down to my vocation? Does “God’s call” to a vocation only apply to “full- time Christian ministers”? How does that affect the way that I make decisions?
  5. How can 1 Peter 4:19 be used in counseling/comforting a friend going through a difficult time? How does 1 Peter 3:17 help? Does the ease of the way (“open doors”) or the comfort of the consequence (“I feel good about it”, “I’ve never been happier”) mean anything about the wisdom of the choice?
  6. What is the value of obedience to the will of God to determining the spiritual condition of a person? How does obedience match up to salvation?
  7. Does God want us to “find his will”? What does this phrase mean? How could we better discuss or define what we really mean when we say this phrase?
  8. Discuss Colossians 1:9-12 in terms of chapters 1-5 (Meadors) and your current understanding of the "will of God". Add Philippians 1:10! Discerning what decisions to make in life is not ________________; it is _____________ ____________________________________. (again, fill in the blanks)
  9. How do we know what God’s moral will is? What is our responsibility in regard to it? What does fulfillment of our responsibility demonstrate?
  10. “Decisions about what house, car or computer to buy and when to spend the money do not require a biblical proof text, although our values will affect these decisions. Neither does the Bible suggest that we appeal to God to reveal his sovereign will or to give us omniscient insight into the future.” (p. 103) So what help is the Bible to decision making? How will I decide which computer to buy?

There. That should keep you busy through the whole pot! :) I look forward to reading your posts.

the coffee pot philosopher, :)

Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we don't have Tim Horton's but I do have freshly ground Starbucks which, in my opinion, beats Horton's hands, anyway.
I can't help you with any recommendations on buying a house or car but I can recommend a computer! Dell has a sweet deal on their Dimension 5150 right now. 40% of on select models....THeir website is terribly slow at the moment. If you're really wanting to buy a computer right now, let me know and i'll e-mail you a saved shopping cart.

Anonymous said...

I'm still on question one.....what is a "Christian consumer" mentality?

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Thad,
thanks for the post. A Christian consumer mentality is one that asks, "what's in it for me"? It all centers around my wants, desires, wishes, felt needs, etc.
The consumer Christianity mentality is the way of thinking about community that says, "I don't like this community anymore, I think I'll try another one up the road". It is the philosophy that says, I will go to the big church in the city because they have more to offer for my children. Rather than saying, I believe that God could use my family to build a healthy youth spot in this smaller work closer to my house.
BTW -- I would love to pop over for a cup of Starbucks' joe! I am not sure how I can swing it though. I would also like to go and visit G'ma in the hospital, but don't know how I might do that either. :( Curses on the rat race!

Mike