Tuesday, June 22, 2004

To plan or not to plan

That is the question. Whenever I delegate, I seem to be anxious to retrieve the balls that I have passed off. There is a aprehension that comes with waiting for someone else to come through in the clutch. I rush too quickly to the rescue.

Delegation is not my strong suit. It is an area that I do need to get better at. The ability to say "would you help here" is as powewrful as the ability to say "no". Oh that I would expand my leadership vocabulary to include these phrases and give them a "frequently used" status.

I found another ministry partner today who feels the same way. Her response is to cover the bases that someone might have dropped. But inconfirmed drops and leadership covers make the students and the learners never learn. The person who has a task delegated and then who never is held accountable or who is chronically rescued may never learn the art of completion.

I cannot plan for everything. I must plan for most things. I must be flexible enough to roll with the contingencies, but be ready enough to minimize them. If you build it (the master plan), they (the contingencies) will come!

So what do I get from all of this open musing?

God is in control of my ministry and I must relax in His ability to take even an imperfect job done by me and make it minister. I must prepare and present my best to God in each day of ministry. But I cannot see all of the turns in the raod. God can and he has ordained them for my growth today. His grace is indeed sufficient for this hour!

1 comment:

Todd Paris said...

Bro, I have experienced this many times leading wilderness trips or facilitating challenge course events. My trainer, Dorilee says it is because I'm a "needs meeter" and "I don't like to let people struggle when I have the solution". I am learning to have a plan but be flexible enough to allow God to steer/modify it the direction that He wants to go and to simply be a "fly on the wall" to keep people from hurting themselves or someone else and to help them ask good questions leading them to accurate conclusions. Don't stop there though, encourage them in the application of that conclusion making a part of there belief system. Sounds like you need a wilderness trip.