Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Angst of Youth

I am reading the book of Job for my personal quiet time in the mornings. I read chapter 32 today which introduces the character Elihu. Elihu is a young man with a mission -- to correct the wrongs of his elders. That sounds like a lot some teens in youth ministries that I have led! The adult is guilty of gross incompetence until proven innocent! The teen's commentary usually goes something like this, "you don't understand us". They want to see something else happen and they're upset that they haven't gotten their way in the matter.

As I am reading, I want to reserve judgment about whether Elihu is right or not until I have heard his complete message. This conclusion is key to having a great rapport with teens, especially disgruntled teens. I have found that we often need to let them vent and get it off of their chest before we jump in and defend or explain our choices as leaders. There needs to be an avenue for teens to have ownership of the group. There needs to be an appropriate means by which they may appeal to their authority. Teens can learn about ministry decisions by asking good questions of leaders and observing solid decision making discussions. These are the good points of Elihu's conversation.

But there is a bad side too. Elihu is described as "angry" three times in the first five verses. Anger is a very volatile emotion. Righteous anger, or anger for the sake of purity, is endorsed by God -- He demonstrates it perfectly (Ex 4:14; 15:7; 32:10-11; Num 11:1,33; Hos 8:5; cp.Jn 2:13-17). There is a right way and a wrong way to "explode" and be "burning up". The emotion of anger can make us think, say and do things that are rash and impetuent -- things that we will regret when the dust settles. (Pr. 29:22, Ps. 4:4; Eph 4:26)

I believe that Elihu may have actually taken offense for God. He believed that the other friends had not spoken for God accurately. 32:2 narrates that the reaction of Elihu was because of a misunderstanding -- he thought that Job was justifying himself rather than God. If Job is guilty of this charge, then Elihu has some justification for his Popeye response (I cantz standz it no more -- :)).

>> Have I exhausted my listening time before becoming angry? Have I been swift to hear, slow to speak and slow to wrath (James 1:20)?
>> Will my anger accomplish God's work? (James 1:21) Or is this anger to accomplish my own agenda?
>> Have I appealed to my authority or have I just blown up on him?
>> If someone is upset, have I worked through the cloak of anger and discovered the heart of the concern? Am I listening to the issues beyond reacting to the heated emotion?
>> Am I an angry man? Or are my friends angry men? (Pr 22:24-25)

3 comments:

Fahlman said...

I hope you keep commenting on Job because that is the book I'm reading through right now as well.

I'm the same age Ezekiel was when he first started writing down the messages God gave him. I'm reading from an NIV Bible that has been arranged chronologically according to when the literature was written rather than as the events unfolded. Job has been placed after the ministries of Jeremiah and Ezekiel come to a close. I'm telling you this to help you understand my perspective. I have been attending the same church since I was ten years old with a two year break.

I must admit that I have often felt anger toward my own elders. I look around and see churches dying, and people complaining that they need to grow, but when I look around at those complainers I don't see any of them attending Bible studies. Instead I see them working on the same events over and over that don't seem to be very effective. The effort looks as though it is for appearance's sake. Not that we shouldn't attend to our appearances, but there might be other areas where they could put there energies that would benefit the church and themselves better. Yes, knowing when to hold one's toungue is a good thing. I could be wrong.

At the moment, I'm simply thankful to know the parable of the wheat sown among tares. I know that simply being at a church doesn't mean everyone who is a member is part of The Church.

SELAH

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Nicole,

Thanks for interacting with me about Job. I have been in an adult Sunday School class for the past 17 weeks on the second half of the book. Job has become one of my favorite books to discuss -- not because I get all of it, but because it is so real. Job really has to challenge his own worldview and theological structures to come out on top.

Elihu I think is my favorite supporting character in the whole book. He has held his tongue for a long time and can't hold it any longer. I wonder if it is time for you to respectfully challenge the complainers with the charge "don't just complain, find a solution".

The way in which one complains will make a huge difference; I believe that is one of the strongest applications of Job. The way one approaches his or her elders makes a huge difference too. I believe if you approach your authority figures the way that Daniel did in Daniel 1 you can have good success.

1. Daniel took great care of his spiritual wellness (1:8a). He approached his walk with God as a personal responsibility. He took that responsibility seriously. He resolved that he would not do anything that would defile him. I am not saying that one should be perfect before approaching an elder. I am saying that we should be attentive to our spiritual walk and our testimony inside and outside the body of Christ.

2. Daniel used tact and submission to appeal to his authority (1:8b). Daniel (and his friends) asked for permission -- not demanded a change.

3. Daniel did not ignore the concerns of the official (1:9-10). The official was trying to do his job. He was trying to stay alive. Daniel's request seemed to be too great a risk. Some of the elders in our churches are not too anxious to risk. They bear scars from other risks taken in years gone by. We need to honor those scars rather than ridicule them. Daniel's goal became the goal of the official -- to be healthy.

4. Daniel proposed a solution and a test period (1:11-13). Daniel didn't just complain, he proposed a reasonable solution. Then after the ten day period, his plan was found to be excellent. It was a win-win situation; Daniel didn't get defiled and the official didn't get fired or killed.

Thanks for taking the time to write,
Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Paris said...

Nicole,

Responding graciously to the rainclouds above your parade is a huge learned skill! I am working on it myself. The art is the ability to respond to the truth of the criticism no matter how slight. And the trick to seeing the criticism is to avoid making it personal.

Keep up the good work of growing around those who are dead and dying in your congregation. Do not let their leaven spoil your lump!

Now the other side of the issue. We ought to be tenderly, compassionately, carefully rescuing people from stagnating in our spheres of influence. Be an agent for change and help others see the benfits of the change for their spiritual growth. Start a new ministry yourself and ask God to give you success as you risk for Him. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures out on the edge!

Nicole, the response of anger at those trapped in a dead end ministry or way of life is not helpful to you or them. Reach out and offer to help carry their overload and get them out of the trouble that they are in. Read Galatians 6:1ff for some good encouragement. Especially 6:9 will be a boost as you labor in love for the sake of others in your congregation. Speak the truth in love, my sister!

Mike