Monday, July 16, 2007

My Life's Spiritual Honor and Duty

Oswald Chambers gave a pretty good challenge yesterday (He being dead yet speaketh! :) ). I, of course, read it this morning as I was previously engaged in regular WyBC ministry happenings yesterday. Nonetheless, this stuff prints/preaches any day of the week/year.

"[in reference to Romans 1:14] Paul was overwhelmed with the sense of his indebtedness to Jesus Christ, and he spent his life to express it. ... Every tiny bit of my life that has value I owe to the redemption of Jesus Christ. ... Quit praying about yourself and spend your life for the sake of others as the bondservant of Jesus. That is the true meaning of being broken bread and poured-out wine."

Again, Oz has some pretty amazing insights or thoughts about how this whole thing called "the Christian Life" ought to unfold. His strong grasp of the total depravity of man has some really great applicational thoughts; it's not about me, it's all about Him! I must decrease, but He must increase. Selfless service for the love of my Lord -- the Mary principle in action.

Which Mary? you may ask. Whichever one that you want! Which principle? Each Mary exhibited total surrender of their lives and assets to the worship and celebration of Jesus. These women demonstrated their love for Christ by their honor and duty.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, referred to herself as the Lord's handmaiden, willing to give her womb and her reputation to the Father to be used for His plan. She pondered these things in her heart and meditated on this babe, not her morning sickness or the public ridicule or the pain of childbirth.

Mary Magdalene, the one in whom there were seven demons, poured out a valuable perfume and cried on Jesus in worship. She knew that there was no way that she even gets close to being a duaghter of God except for Jesus is about to do for her. She prepares His body for death/burial/resurrection. Her debt is no larger though than mine!

Mary, the sister of Lazarus and Martha, sat at Jesus feet and listened intently to the words of truth that were setting her free. She focused her attention and time on being with Jesus even with the price tag of ridicule by her sister, Martha. Jesus called her brokenness and humility the better thing choice. She intentionally allowed her time to be absorbed in becoming more like Jesus.

He means so much to me, how can I remain silent about Him? O God, Give me courage to infect those around me with contagious Christianity again today. I pray that I will focus my attention on the praise, honor, and glory that You are so worthy of. You paid much too high a price for me! Yet You did it voluntarily, so I simply respond with a breathed out whisper, "thank-you for the cross" and "there is a redeemer"!

1 comment:

Walls Down Church Kids said...

Yes! I had a conversation last night and that is exactly how I felt going into it...it's not about me...I want to share and help others know what I know and feel! Great words!