Thursday, April 05, 2007

They Are Not Listening

The story of Moses is fascinating on a number of different levels. One of them is the leadership angle. Moses is counted in the top ten great leaders that Israel ever had. He is in the Leadership Hall of fame if you will. Had he been born a few thousand years later, there would probably be an award named after him: the Moses Award for Excellence in Large Group Leadership.

I do not have a group the size that Moses led. The flock that God has given me for now is considerably smaller. Yet, Mo' faced the same sorts of problems that I face on occasion.

"So Moses spoke thus to the sons of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses on account of their despondency and cruel bondage."
Exodus 6:9, NASB

There are times that people just don't listen to me either. I try to lead and they just don't respond. I have been in this situation and thought about the leadership proverb recorded by John Maxwell (Developing the Leader Within You), "A leader without followers is simply out for a walk". I don't like walking off by myself any more than I like staying with resistant sheep.

The key I believe in this passage is that people didn't respond because they were too consumed with the stuff of everyday life. They were so loaded up that they couldn't hear Moses. They thought they heard him in chapter 4, only to be loaded up even more in chapter 5! It was too much! When this hearing/listening stoppage occurs, there are four encouragements for the discouraged leader.

1. They didn't listen to Moses either. I am not alone; this is not a new development that is targeting me. I have the record of Moses' leadership, even in the face of resistance or outright rebellion, to challenge me to do what I have been called to do -- with or without followers. This epsiode of non-listening did not cost him the leadership trophy!

2. They may not be ready, willing or able to hear me. I may need to help lift their load, or help them rest a while, or plan on carrying them for a distance. More good news! I can be the most eloquent speaker or even the faltering lipped leader and still not be heard.

3. I am not responsible for their response. I only need to take the message to them. I cannot answer for them or make them hear it. I cannot wait to speak the message when I can get the response that I want. I cannot wait to get a message that I like to speak (one that heeded).

4. I must not become short of spirit because of their responsiveness (or lack thereof). The people couldn't hear because they were "short spirited" or discouraged or despondent. If I take on their same attitude (sink to the level of the bleating sheep) then I may also become unable, unwilling, or unready to hear the voice of God through another messenger. Leaders lead by example.

I don't like to be not listened to or ignored. I love it when people are responsive (positively). But God may have me leading a group of people that, for whatever reason, can't or won't listen. Moses was. Oh how much I need a shot in the arm from God to get through the discouragement of non-responsiveness. God gave Moses Aaron to bear his load. God has given me key men to turn to as well. Who has God given to you? Be encouraged to lead in the face of non-response.

Leading whether they're listening or not,
And striving to hear myself,
Mike

1 comment:

Todd Paris said...

Are you talking about your children or your congregation?