Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Brothers, Keep Away From the Idols

I would never worship an idol. I am too smart for that. I would pick up the fact that I was praying to a piece of hay, wood or stubble. I would never serve a piece of metal, wood, stone or plastic. There will never come a day when I prostrate myself before a grotesque statue or a foreign/strange shrine. It just won't happen. I'm not falling for that obvious a trick of the adversary.

But Oswald Chambers ask the question(s) in this way, today:

What is it that blinds me in this "my day"? Have I a strange god - not a disgusting monster, but a disposition that rules me? More than once God has brought me face to face with the strange god and I thought I should have to yield, but I did not do it. I got through the crisis by the skin of my teeth and I find myself in the possession of the strange god still; I am blind to the things which belong to my peace. It is an appalling thing that we can be in the place where the Spirit of God should be getting at us unhinderedly, and yet increase our condemnation in God's sight.

I was especially pulled up short by the statement Chambers makes about getting through the crisis and going right back to my old ways. My old ways are often the idolatry -- the things that steal my energy and excitement rightfully belonging to the God. I choose to be in control of my life instead of yielding. I desire my own comfort and pleasure over ministering selflessly. I rush into the temple of my heart, the sanctuary of my life, and brush the Holy Spirit aside so that I can put my own old man statuette on display. Sometimes when my mind is not being renewed, I even ask the Holy Spirit to hold the statuette. I think that since He is holding it I am really worshipping Him. My own hands/mind have fashioned this weak shadow of the real desirable object of my affection -- God.

I am so grateful that I no longer have permanent condemnation with God (Rom 8:1) -- even when I am stupid about avoiding the idols!

My prayer this morning is based on the words of the great hymn, "Whiter Than Snow"

Verse 1
Lord Jesus I long
To be perfectly whole
I want Thee forever
To live in my soul
Break down every idol
Cast out every foe
Now wash me and I shall be
Whiter than snow

Chorus

Whiter than snow

Yes whiter than snow

Now wash me and I shall be
Whiter than snow


Verse 2
Lord Jesus look down
From Thy throne in the skies
And help me to make
A complete sacrifice
I give up myself
And whatever I know
Now wash me and I shall be
Whiter than snow

Verse 4
Lord Jesus before You
I patiently wait
Come now and within me
A new heart create
To those who have sought You
You never said no
Now wash me and I shall be
Whiter than snow

Amen. Brothers keep yourselves from idols (1 John 5:21).
Mike

No comments: