Sunday, January 08, 2006

Me? Ask for directions?

If you are like me -- an aging red-blooded American male -- the farthest thing from your mind is stopping and asking for directions. You would rather die of exposure to the elements than be forced to ask for help. To ask for directions is by its nature and admission of lostness which is only thinly veiled wrongness. That does not sit well.

But I am teaching a lesson to 5th and 6th graders this week on memorization. Memorizing Scripture is a way of commiting to God's directions for life. Maybe the reason that I do not memorize Scripture more is because I think that I don't need it. Maybe I think that I have made it safely this far, why memorize the directions. After all, I can always consult the map (Bible) right? Maybe not. When the pressure gets turned up, I may not have time to thumb through Strong's Strongest Concordance or phone a friend. I need to pack Scripture away so I know the directions for life!

Would you consider five results of memorization?
  1. Memorize so that you can enjoy God's best way of living
  2. Memorize so that your mind will be trained to be like God's
  3. Memorize so that you may be comforted in hard times
  4. Memorize so that you will not be fooled by wrong directions
  5. Memorize so that you can give right directions to others

Those five fruits are all great direction finders. I can know the right way of living, when I get off track, how I can get back on track and how I can stay on track.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17, NIV

Hopelessly in need of direction,

Mike

No comments: